It was 125 years ago that our little church started out in a house on Maxwell Street. Those church pioneers built a Sanctuary that was our home for 25 years, until we outgrew it. That second generation of travelers moved us two blocks east on Maxwell Street to our current home. They began building in 1915, with mules digging out the basement area, and almost a year of work to get our current Sanctuary completed. The move-in celebration was the last Sunday in June of 1916.
Now it’s 2016 and we have to celebrate! Our generation is able to live in this magnificent building and focus solely on ministry and mission. What a gift our ancestors have given us – a great building and the freedom just to carry out mission!
Here’s how we’re celebrating the year:
June 26 ~ 100 Year Rededication Celebration
recreate the original worship service; open the old cornerstone; collect items for a new cornerstone; see a slideshow of the old days; have lunch together in Fellowship Hall; and, of course, have a mule for the kids
July 30 ~ Work Day
get Blevins & Church interiors in shape for MaxFest
September 10 ~ Historical Tour during Saturday of MaxFest
take tours of major rooms with storytellers present; have lunch at Joe B’s, our old church; see historical timeline permanent display; sign up for group projects to honor our history
October 1 ~ Work Day
fall outdoor clean-up & church scrub down
November 20 ~ Awards Banquet at Annual Meeting
recognize the gifts that have brought us to this day; share new history book of the church; see slideshow of pictures from the year; share Trustees Future Plans